Friday, September 3, 2010

about Aronofsky and good old Europe

The new movie of Darren Aronofsky will open the Venice Film Festival this year. And it will be beautiful movie about ballet and Natalie Portman. This time no math, no science, just pure art, art about art. By "beautiful" I mean.. "beautiful" in the Aronofsky kind of way.



I like the first Aronofsky movie - "Pi". Numbers, Kabalah, the simple well known message, that the more you know, the better you know how sad the story of life is. When I was a teenager, once a friend of mine (Christophor) said to me: "How can you be so happy? There are only 2 ways - either you are very stupid, or you know something we all don't." (I suppose, it was the first one :) )

However, I love art.. and I love science. But I'm agree, that artists should stay artists and they better be no scientists. Otherwise we miss a lot of beautiful stuff.. Like.. Imagine that the frontman of Pearl Jam was thinking about logic, when he wrote the song "I am mine". Then he would stumble upon the sentence "North is to south what clock is to time". And he would probably throw his manuscript in the bin, because anyone who has a basic knowledge of logical expressions would notice how it does not make any sense. But fortunately, Eddie Vedder' s last priority when writing the song, was logic.

And for the fans of Queen, the good news is, Freddy also hasn't put his statements under deep consideration. Otherwise he would notice, that you can't fall in love for the first time knowing that this time it's for real (because you don't have a basis to compare and because "this time" implies the fact you already was in love at least once before).

Anyway..

In 2 weeks I'm changing my home temporary. I got my J1 visa 2 weeks ago and now I'm preparing my stay in Pittsburgh. The good news is, I have the unique chance to learn plenty of new things at one of the best computer science universities in the world - Carnegie Mellon University and I have the support of 2 very important professors, moreover very kind persons. The bad news is, that I had so much stress and disappointments last few months, that I'll be too tired to enjoy completely my stay in Pittsburgh. And I'll miss the good old Europe as well. I hope it's worth...

1 comment:

  1. Interesting stuff, Zlate, and the trailer looks quite promising, will make sure to check for torrents on it frequently +) I watched Pi on your advice in my first year in SU and it was so cool...
    Btw there are many people that would switch hobbies just to improve their output, like people working in the field of fundamental exact sciences who go into painting and music just to have their brains work on a different pattern and thus improving their overall ability to create and innovate. Same goes for artists who go into playing with math in order to get the same effect.

    ReplyDelete